Who We Are
The Booneville Development Corporation / South Logan County Chamber of Commerce is an amalgamation of two organizations. Technically speaking, the BDC is organized as a 501c(6) non-profit corporation, with the South Logan County Chamber of Commerce being a part of, and the public face of, the BDC. While there is a paid staff for the BDC/SLC Chamber, the organization is governed by a volunteer 12-person Board of Directors, the members of which are elected by and from the Membership of the Organization.
The BDC/Chamber’s Mission is to “. . . involve the leaders and citizens of Booneville and South Logan County in a process of creating and implementing a strategic vision and action plan that will serve as a blueprint for us to work together to create our desired future: a strong local economy and a high quality of life.”
The Booneville Chamber of Commerce was organized in 1946 to promote business and community events in and around Booneville. The Booneville Development Corporation was organized in 1995 to help recruit business and industry into the area. The two organizations merged in 1998, enlarging their scope to include all of South Logan County at the same time.
The BDC/Chamber’s Vision is:
- A progressive and community-oriented area which encourages citizen participation and involvement in programs and projects;
- An area which welcomes growth and embraces diversity in the workforce and society;
- An area dedicated to preserving the beautiful natural environment while still building a sound economic base for our families’ future;
- A community which provides a high quality education for our children, which prepares them to successfully compete in a global economy;
- A community with many varied recreational and cultural activities for residents of all ages;
- A community which provides access to high quality health care for everyone;
- A community which recognizes and appreciates the contributions made by the agricultural and forestry industries, their products and their supplies
- A community ready, willing and committed to meeting our full potential.
The “community” mentioned in our vision statement is all inclusive of all the citizens of our area. The more people, businesses and organizations that we can involve in fulfilling the mission of the BDC/Chamber, the closer we get to realizing our vision. Volunteers are the backbone of almost everything we do, whether it is recruitment, quality of life projects or community events.
But, we can not do this without partners that are willing to be more than involved in what we do. Without the commitment of businesses, industry, organizations, retires and individuals, the BDC/Chamber would not exist. These committed partners are our Members.
Through our Members, we are able to be successful in our efforts to organize volunteers, businesses and organizations into an effective group that moves the entire community toward fulfilling our full potential.